A garage isn’t only for car-keeping purposes, you can also use that place as a workshop. If you have a garage in your house, you would know how important it is to keep it clean. From repairing your car to doing a DIY project, you would want to work without any disturbance. Hence, knowing now how to seal a garage door from the inside will help you in the long run.
You must have thought, why can you hear the outside noise when you are working in your garage with a closed door? The reason is so simple and tiny that we often overlook them. Several gaps and holes in your garage door play a vital role in such noisy interruption. Also, rainwater, wind, insects, etc. get into your garage and damage the inside.
To save your garage from such disasters, you need to seal the garage door from the inside. Thus, it would be soundproof and can be protected from other calamities as well.
1. Using Garage Floor Seals
While contemplating where to start, the first place on your list should be the bottom part of your garage door. Check if any light ray is coming through it when the door is shut off. If you see lights coming in, it has holes that you can seal immediately using the floor seals.
- Take a cloth piece and clean all the debris and dirt from the garage floor and the door.
- Cut the seal according to the door area.
- Put the seal under the door with the protection cover. The rubber part should be under the door. Mark the place that needs to be sealed.
- After applying the seal let it rest for 24 hours.
2. Using Bottom Seal
You can block the garage door with some long-lasting garage bottom seal. These products have clips with them to make the installation process easy. Just clip them where you need them, and nothing else is required. This type of seal keeps dirt or rodents from infiltrating your garage.
- Calculate the size of the door bottom.
- Cut the seal measuring the same size.
- Use clips to attach the seals to the garage door.
3. Using Weather Stripping for Garage Doors
If you want no noise, insects, debris, etc. inside your garage, the spaces on the door side should be closed off too. You can use weatherstrip tape to block those gaps. For the right-sized tape, scale the door edges first.
- Clean off the door edges before starting the process.
- Put some rubber-based gum on the weatherstrip tape.
- Press the tape on the closed door.
- Leave it for a day to set in.
4. Seal the Garage Door Top
You can also secure a garage by sealing the door top. A good quality sealing product, specifically made for garage door top is enough to do the work. This rubber seal is a smart technique for closing a door that is attached to the ceiling. This method helps to maintain the temperature of the room by entrapping the heat and air inside.
- Keep the door closed before applying the seal.
- Put on the strips over the holes and the edges of the door top.
5. Using Threshold Seal
If you have a driveway slope, using a threshold seal is a great idea for sealing a garage door. This one is just like the bottom seal except for the fixture part. Rather than the door, a threshold seal is connected to the floor. This sturdy and durable product contains its own adhesive, meaning you don’t need to buy it separately.
- Measure your garage door and mark it.
- Cut the threshold seal according to the taken measurement.
- Remove any dirt from the floor and wipe it using a clean cloth.
- Once the floor is dried, place the threshold seal.
- Use screws to fix them on the floor properly.
6. Insulating the Garage Door
Soundproofing your garage can keep away insects, and cold air as well. There are several ways to insulate your garage door with some simple steps. You can use fiberglass materials, reflective soundproofing, board, etc. Choose the type you think is best for your garage door.
- Measure the garage door and cut the foil while adding an extra inch to the gauged size.
- Put the large panels on the frame so that the foil is confronting the door.
- Begin with the top end and work down to the low edge.
- Do the same with all the panels.
These are some of the best ways how to seal a garage door from the inside. As you can see, these methods are pretty easy to follow, and you can perform it yourself by following the steps. However, if you think a professional hire would be better to do the job, don’t hesitate.
Once you seal your door properly, it will be safe from any weather elements, noises, rodents, and insects. Your neighbor would be happy about not being disturbed by your work noise anymore. Moreover, you would be able to do your work in peace with ease.